Create an Animated GIF using Layers
This page demonstrates how to create an animated GIF in GIMP using layers.
If you're a regular GIMP user, chances are you probably already know 90% of what it takes to create an animated GIF. The other 10% is the easy part!
First, let's look at the "before" and "after" images.
While most browsers support animated GIFs, some don't. If you can't see the animation in this example, your browser may not support animated GIFs.
How to Create an Animated GIF
I created the above animated GIF using layers.
To create an animated GIF using layers:
Add the Text or other additions
Add some text (or anything else you like) to the image.
Each layer represents a different frame in the animation, so be sure to add a new layer for each frame.
In my example, I added 3 layers of text.
Animate the Layer
Launch the Preview
Play the Animation
Once you're happy with the animation, export the image (File > Export) and select GIF image (*.gif).
If you're not happy, go back and try again.
There you have it! That's all it takes to create an animated GIF using layers with the GIMP!
A Word On Filesize
Animated GIFs can become very large if you're not careful. To keep the file size down, try not to use too many colors in your animated GIFs. Also, avoid dithering for the same reason.